If you are advised to leave before a storm, we suggest that you follow the professional guidance and evacuate. The following is a list of items that you may want to have ready in case you need to evacuate.
If you are in an area that has a high probablility of being evacuated this winter, you may want to keep these items in the trunk of your car to expedite your evacuation, or in case you are out and can not get home when you area is evacuated.
- Copy of all IDs (license, passport, social security card)
- Proof of residence in Big Sur (If your license does not say Big Sur on it, bring a ulitity bill, copy of a deed, letter from you landlord, etc. that you can use to gain access to the area when it is reopened, as it will likely be open to Big Sur residents before it it open to the wider public.)
- Credit card and cash
- Medications (The Big Sur Health Center can help you work with your insurance to mail-order extra prescriptions. Call 831-667-2580.)
- Pets (The SPCA is ready to help you and your pet if you must evacuate. Here is a list prepared by the SPCA of local hotels that accept pets. Print out a copy of this list and keep it with your important documents. Please take your pet with you.)
- Items for pets (Travel box, leash/harness, medications, food, litter, comfort items, etc.) See the Disaster Preparedness Checklist for Cats and Dogs from the SPCA.