Keep In Your Car Checklist
Due to possible mud and debris slides during Big Sur winters, we should all be prepared to dig ourselves out of mud, encounter rocks on the road, and possibly wait in out cars until help arrives. In addition, take a moment to plan with your family what to do in the event that you are separated due to road closures. Decided ahead of time where you will meet up if communications are limited.
- Food- Energy Bars, Pretzels, Etc. (2 day supply)
- Food for your pet
- Water- At least one gallon per person
- Warm Layers
- Extra blanket(s) and a sleeping bag
- Cell Phone and car charger
- Road Reflectors (Cal Fire now endorses using these rather than flares. These can be used if you are stopped in the road or if you want to mark a road hazard such as rocks or debris. They are flat when stored, pop up into pyramids for use, and cost about $2 each.)
- Sharpie and Paper
- First Aid Kit
- Tool kit
- Comfort and entertainment items
Note: In the event that your car becomes stuck over a downed wire you must stay in your car until PG&E arrives and turns off the wire.